Anyone else keep putting on jeans just to keep themselves in check during quarantine? I’m finding myself reaching for comforting food, and definitely baking more than usual, so we are trying to reign it in a little over the next few weeks. These chicken tostadas are so quick and easy. You can 100% customize them, and they’ve got a reasonable calorie count for how much flavor they pack.
So, you do you on these, but you definitely want to make this cumin lime crema. You can put it on anything – grilled chicken, veggie kabobs, some crispy potatoes – anything!
So if you make a batch of pulled chicken for the week, these tostadas come together in 10 minutes. Can you think of anything better to have for lunch or on a night you just cannot bring yourself to cook one more meal?
I’m serious – I made a batch of pulled chicken yesterday, and these tostadas and blog post were made, eaten and written in about 30 minutes!
I’ve included in the recipe how I make pulled chicken – it’s another component of this recipe that is so versatile. You can pop it on a salad, in a burrito bowl or a burrito, tacos, quesadillas, these tostadas! Whatever you want!
And, the hubby like these too! They’re spicy, and cheesy and there’s a little sweet from the peppers and everything comes together with that crema! You guys! Make the crema!
What else are you making that’s quick and easy? If you need more ideas, you can check out some of my favorite weeknight recipes that we reach for over and over again here.
Pulled Chicken Tostadas with Cumin Lime Crema
Slow Cooker Pulled Chicken
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 chicken breasts
- 1-3 chipotle in adobo sauce see notes
- 1 can rotell tomatoes
- salt, pepper to taste
Cumin Lime Crema
- 1/4 c plain greek yogurt or sour cream I used fat free greek yogurt
- 1 small lime, juiced
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- salt to taste
- 5 small taco shells I used the Trader Joe’s mini taco shells? not sure what they’re called, they’re street taco size!
- 1/2 orange, red or yellow pepper, thinly sliced
- 1/4 c black beans
- 1 c shredded chicken
- 1 serano or jalapeno thinly sliced optional
- 1/4 c shredded Mexican cheese
- 1/4 c sliced scallions, optional
Slow Cooker Pulled Chicken
- Heat olive oil over medium high heat.
- Sear chicken in a pan until just brown on each side over medium high heat, about 4-5 minutes per side.
- Place chicken in slow cooker with can of tomatoes and chipotle peppers. Get as much of that adobo sauce in there as you can!
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper; cook on high for 1 1/2 – 2 hrs depending on the thickness of your chicken breast.
- Preheat oven to 375 with the rack as close to the broil element as possible.
- To assemble: line baking sheet with parchment and taco shells in a single layer; place peppers, beans, chicken, cheese and jalapenos or serano chiles if using.
- Top with cheese, spreading out among the 5 tacos.
- Bake for 7 minutes.
- While the tostadas are baking, combine all ingredients for crema in a bowl and stir to combine. Taste for salt and adjust accordingly. If there is too much lime flavor, balance with a bit more cumin and salt or add more yogurt.
- After 7 minutes, broil the tostadas until the cheese is completely melted and the taco shells are a little brown. Watch your tostadas carefully so they do not burn – I check them in 1 minute increments.
- If you want extra crispy tostadas, you can bake the taco shells for a few minutes until the desired brownness is reached; remove from the oven and carefully load them up with your toppings; broil for the cheese to melt.
- Top with sliced scallions, if using, and cumin lime crema.