Quarantine has really challenged me to step up my lunch game. Having just gone back to work, it’s nice to have something to look forward to and not have a #saddesklunch. It feels like a blessing to be home and have the space to be a little more creative, especially in the middle of the day.
These hummus toasts come together in just 20 minutes, most of which you’re just roasting up the brussels sprouts. You use store bought hummus, spread it over the toasts, spread the brussels sprouts over them and BAM you’ve got lunch, sis!
The brussels sprouts are super easy, with simple ingredients you can 100% get your hands on in quarantine! Just a little olive oil, lemon zest, lemon juice, garlic, salt and pepper. It’s the simple ingredients, ya know?
I couldn’t get shaved sprouts, so I sliced mine and then just separated them gently with my fingers. This gave me some delicious crispy bits!
I used a roasted garlic hummus to spread over toasted sourdough bread – work with whatever you’ve got and whatever your favorite flavors are! A lemon hummus would be awesome, spicy would be amazing – whatever you love most!
Roasted Shredded Brussels Sprouts with Hummus Toasts
- 15-20 brussels sprouts, cleaned and sliced in discs
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 lemon, zested and juiced
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- salt, pepper, to taste
- 2 slices of sourdough or any type of your favorite bread
- 2 tbsp butter, for toasting bread
- 3 tbsp store bough hummus any flavor
- basil, crispy panko crumbs, red pepper flakes for garnish, optional
- Preheat oven to 425. Line a baking sheet with foil and lightly spray with cooking spray; set aside.
- Slice brussels sprouts into discs, gently separating some of the layers with your fingers.
- In a mixing bowl, combine sliced brussels sprouts, olive oil, lemon zest, lemon juice, garlic, salt and pepper and toss until brussels sprouts are coated and zest, garlic, salt and pepper are well mixed.
- Spread brussels sprouts on prepared baking sheet and roast for 15 minutes, tossing halfway.
- Spread butter on both sides of sourdough slices and toast over medium heat, flipping sides until you get your preferred toastiness.
- Spread hummus on each slice.
- When brussles sprouts have finished, split between the two slices of hummus toast. Garnish with baisl, panko crumbs, red pepper flakes and enjoy immediately!