Oh how I love some grilled pizza, year-round, but especially in the summer. On Friday nights, we host a Fire Pit Friday with grilled pizza for all our friends and family. For that, we use the Trader Joe’s crusts, but when it’s just myself and hubby at the pool, we love to use a loaf of French bread, topped with pesto, mozz and cherry tomatoes. And it’s literally ready in 7 minutes!
Food poolside always feels like such a challenge to my creativity – kind of like when you’re trying to have a picnic and have to come up with something easy to eat, clean up and something that can hold up to the hotter weather.
Now, you want to get the grill super hot – up to at least 500. This will ensure that your pizzas cook in just 5 minutes. The cheese melts, the bread crisps and the tomatoes are just every so slightly warmed. It’s seriously perfection and just about the easiest thing to enjoy poolside.
Now, you know my secret weapon is that Costco brand pesto. Don’t fight it. It’s the best pesto around, tastes like summer! Really the only thing better is making it yourself but you need SO much basil to do that. This is definitely a condiment that’s worth buying once you’ve found a favorite.
7 Minute Grilled Pesto Pizza
- 1 loaf French bread, sliced in half
- 1/4 c prepared pesto
- 1/4 c shredded mozzarella
- 1/2 c sliced cherry tomatoes
- salt, optional
- Preheat grill to at least 500 degrees.
- Spread pesto onto sliced loaf. Top with shredded mozz and sliced cherry tomatoes.
- Place on heated grill for 5 minutes or until cheese is melted.
- Slice and serve. Add salt to bring out the flavor of the tomatoes, if desired!