If you don’t like grilled cheese, I’m really not sure we can be friends! Okay, maybe we can, I’ll take it under consideration. But guys. You’ve gotta try this grilled ricotta cheese!
The ricotta is so creamy, and a little salty. The bread has the best crunch. A little basil whipped into the ricotta and dropped on top – so summery!
If you haven’t tried mayo in lieu of cheese in a grilled cheese, you’re really missing out. The mayo gets the bread nice and caramelized in a way that butter just doesn’t. And I’m pretty convinced it just imparts more flavor!
So, you’ll take about a cup of ricotta and a few table spoons of mozzarella and mix them up together. A dash of salt, garlic powder, red flake pepper and chopped basil added to the ricotta up the flavor x 10.
Get the bread good and crispy, then sprinkle some chiffonade basil over and serve with pesto. So simple!
You could even make these as an appetizer, just slice the bread after its cooked in smaller pieces!
Grilled Ricotta Cheese
- 6 thick slices of bread
- 3/4 c ricotta cheese
- 3 tbsp shredded mozzarella
- 1 tsp garlic powder, or more
- salt, red pepper flake to taste
- 3 tbsp chiffonade basil, 1 tbsp reserved for garnish
- 3 tbsp mayo
- In a bowl, combine cheeses, spices and 2 tbsp of basil. Stir to combine. Taste for salt and garlic and adjust as necessary.
- Prepare bread with mayo, 1 tbsp per sandwich, applying mayo on the pan side of each slice of bread.
- Add ricotta mixture to each sandwich and place in pan over medium high heat.
- Cook until desired crispness, flip on other side and repeat.
- Serve with basil on top and pesto on the side.