A good taco recipe can be elevated to a great taco with a homemade, from scratch, worth every second of effort, tortilla recipe!
This easy tortilla recipe comes together with just a few ingredients, and following just a few steps that I promise anyone can do, you’ll have fresh tortillas in about 15 minutes.
A stand mixer is all you need – but it will also work if you mix by hand! I swear, just a little scoop of guacamole is really all you need. They’re so soft, and fresh, and just all around heavenly. It takes you from taco night to TACO PARTY!
Fresh Homemade Flour Tortilla Recipe
Yield: About 16 tortillas | Time: ~30 minutes
3 cups unbleached flour
1 tsp baking powder
2 tsp salt
1 cup warm water
1/4 cup olive oil/vegetable oil
- Combine dry ingredients in stand mixer fitted with dough hook.
- Put stand mixer on low speed to mix dry ingredients together briefly.
- While the stand mixer is on a low speed, slowly add water and oil. Increase the speed to a medium-to-high setting.
- Once the dough turns into a ball, slow the speed until most of the dough is a ball on the dough hook.
- Turn the dough onto a floured surface.
- Roll the tortilla dough out to about .75 inch thick.
- Cut dough into 16 even pieces.
- Roll the dough into balls (like a meatball!); place onto a tray or cookie sheet and gently press down. Do this with all of the 16 pieces of dough.
- Cover with a kitchen towel and allow the dough to rest for at least 15 minutes, or up to 2 hours.
- Heat a skillet until it is very very hot – you want the tortillas to cook up quickly!
- Roll each tortilla ball until it is very thin, or use a tortilla press!
- Heat each side of each rolled out tortilla for about 10-15 seconds.
- Cover the tortillas in a stack as they come off the skillet!
- Enjoy with your favorite tacos!
Stay tuned the rest of the week for the perfect taco and margarita pairings for cinco de mayo!