Pulled Adobo Chicken Tacos with Pineapple Salsa
A delicious recipe to take you from tacos to burrito bowls, with a fun salsa to bring summer flavors to your table for taco night!
- 1/2 c adobo chile powder
- 2 plum tomatoes, roughly chopped
- 1/4 c apple cider vinegar
- 3 tbsp brown sugar
- 5 garlic cloves
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4-1/2 tsp salt
- pepper, to taste
- 1/2 c boiling water
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 2-4 chicken breasts
- 1-2 c adobo sauce, enough to cover chicken breasts
- 1-2 c diced pineapple
- 1/2 red onion, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced or grated
- 1 jalapeno or serano pepper, ribs and seeds removed, diced
- 2 plum tomatoes, diced
- 2 tbsp chopped cilantro
- 1 lime, zested and juiced
- 1/2 tsp cumin, or more to taste
- salt and pepper to taste
- Tacos, cojita, tomatoes, lettuce, cheese, etc, all your favorite taco toppings!
In a food processor, blend all ingredients except the olive oil together until smooth and the consistency of BBQ sauce. If it is too thick, thin with more boiling water.
In a saucepan, heat oil over medium high heat.
Carefully add sauce ingredients and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and cook for 20 minutes uncovered.
Remove from heat and use immediately, or allow to cool and then place in airtight container or mason jar and refrigerate.
Pat chicken breasts dry and season with salt and pepper.
Place liner in crock pot or prepare with cooking spray. Add chicken breasts.
Pour 1-2 c of adobo sauce over the chicken breasts, enough to cover.
Cook on high for 2-3 hours or low 4-5 hours, depending on the thickness of the breasts, until the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165.
Once the chicken is cooked, pull with a pair of forks. Add more adobo sauce if desired.