Don’t you just love making a treat that is like, just a little less effort? Guys, I love a good pie (and I really love a great pecan pie). Forget “easy as pie” – this is “easier than pie!”
Especially at this point in my pregnancy (hey, 29 weeks!), I’m getting tired on my feet, and my belly is getting in the way. Like, to be honest, the idea of rolling out a pie crust right now is not my idea of fun!
But these cookie bars come together so fast! You’ll whip up a super easy short bread base – just a few ingredients and a few minutes in a stand mixer. While the shortbread bakes for 10 minutes, you chop the pecans, add in brown sugar, maple syrup, melted butter and a dash of salt. You’ll add the pecan topping to the shortbread at 10 minutes, and then bake for another 30. THAT’S IT.
Easier than pie, right?
Pecan Pie Short Bread Cookie Bars with Drizzled Chocolate
- 2 sticks (1 cup) of unsalted butter, cold, cubed
- 2 c flour
- 1/2 c sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
Pecan Pie Topping
- 1 1/2 c roughly chopped pecans (I like to leave some bigger chopped pieces and some smaller ones)
- 1/4 c butter, melted
- 1/3 c brown sugar
- 1/3 c maple syrup
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/4 c chocolate chips (I like the dolce frutti chocolate the best, since it hardens and doesn't need to be refrigerated)
- Preheat the oven to 325. Line an 8×8 pan with parchment paper and butter the parchment. Set aside.
- Combine butter, flour, salt and sugar in a stand mixer with dough hook attachment. Work until a ball of dough forms (be patient, it will happen!).
- Press shortbread dough into prepared pan. Bake for ten minutes.
- While the shortbread is baking, make the pecan pie topping. While the butter is melting, roughly chop pecans.
- In a small mixing bowl, combine chopped pecans, butter, brown sugar, maple syrup and salt. Stir until pecans are well coated.
- After 10 minutes, remove the short bread from the oven and gently spoon the pecan mixture evenly over the short bread.
- You want to spoon evenly rather than dump in the middle and spread it out, which will mush (very technical) your short bread.
- Place shortbread back in the oven for 30 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely. Cut into wedges and drizzle with melted chocolate.