DIY my own seasoning?! Yes! You don’t need to make your own creole seasoning, which is super great when it’s late, it’s time to make dinner and you can’t just run out of the house to go pick up this spice. Plus, if you have a well-stocked spice cabinet, this is the simplest thing to create!
Creole seasoning has such a nice spice, which comes from the garlic and cayenne. You can totally control the heat, which is great if you’re like us and have a handful of friends and family that are sensitive to spice. Yet another reason that it’s good to just whip up your own!
If you’re hosting a Mardi Gras party, this can make a great little party favor. You can make a big batch and then decant into smaller spice jars. How cute?!
Creole seasoning can be quite the versatile spice to have in your pantry, and not just for a Mardis Gras party. Here are some ideas:
- Seasoning for a roasted vegetable, especially okra
- Seasoning for fish or chicken
- Swap taco seasoning for taco night
- Blend and whip with butter to make a compound butter for biscuits
- Add it to seasoning for rice or even better – cauliflower rice
- SHRIMP, wouldn’t this be so good on shrimp?!
You get the idea, it’s a very versatile spice that is worth making your own because you can up the spice, downplay the spice or fall somewhere in between. Plus, you’re going to want it for all the recipes we’re sharing right here this week!
- 1 tbsp onion powder
- 3 tbsp garlic powder
- 2 tbsp dried oregano
- 1 tbsp dried basil
- 1 tbsp dried thyme
- 1.5 tbsp black pepper
- 1.5 tbsp cayenne pepper
- 5 tbsp smoked paprika
- 3 tbsp salt
- Combine all ingredients in bowl or 8 ounce jar.
- Stir or shake to combine.
- Store in spice cabinet or cool, dry place.