I’ve been working on our menu for the big game for a few weeks now, and when I asked my husband what he thought I should make, “stromboli!” was the first thing he said. Exclamation point included. I think secretly stromboli might just be his favorite food. I thought it was a great idea since stromboli is so easy to make and can be made ahead of time. So come February 2nd, I’ll be baking up a stromboli to be reheated and served again on Sunday. All about that make-ahead-party-prep!
This is yet another you do you boo situation – don’t you love those?! You really can put anything you want in a stromboli. This one I made with chorizo and pepperoni, honestly, by accident. I thought at the grocery store I grabbed a package of Italian sausage and it ended up being chorizo. It worked out, though! We loved this combination, definitely for the spice-lovers.
As long as you don’t pre-slice your stromboli, it will be really easy to reheat. You don’t want to cut it and let all of the fillings out!
Using a premade pizza crust makes this stromboli recipe come together quickly. I pop it out of the can and stretch it a little bit so the crust is a bit thinner. I haven’t tried this with the premade thin crust variety because I am guessing that the fillings will make the bread too soggy. You’ll want a crust that can actually stand up to your fillings. So, I recommend using the premade to make this faster. But, you could make your own pizza crust, too!
Here are a few more ideas for other varieties of stromboli:
- Caprese: fresh mozzarella sliced thin, basil, pizza sauce, served with extra pizza on the side
- Buffalo Chicken: diced chicken, hot sauce, mozzarella, served with ranch or blue cheese dressing on the side
- Greek: feta, olives, pepperoncini and diced chicken, served with tzatziki on the side
- Mushroom: sauteed mushrooms, caramelized onions, goat cheese, served with pesto on the side
- Ranch Chicken: diced chicken, ranch dressing, mozzarella, sauteed green peppers and onions, served with extra ranch on the side
How to Make Stromboli
- 1 premade pizza crust stretched out to thin the crust
- 1 lb chorizo, cooked
- 3 oz pepperoni
- 1 c mozzarella
- 1/4 c pizza sauce
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line baking sheet with parchment or silpat.
- On the baking sheet, stretch out pizza dough until the dough is a little thinner than it started (just to give you extra length).
- First, layer sauce; continue with chorizo layer; half the cheese; pepperoni layer; finish with the remaining cheese.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until the outside is golden brown.
- Allow to cool for 10 minutes before slicing; serve with extra pizza sauce for dipping.
- To make ahead: proceed with steps 1-4. Allow the stromboli to cool completely, then wrap with saran and foil. When you are ready to serve, heat the oven to 350 and bake for about 10-15 minutes until the outside is hot. Cool for 5-10 minutes until it's warm but not too hot to touch. Slice and serve!