If you follow on Instagram, you know that I have a ton of hot chocolate-related recipe ideas swirling through my head. But this one is the one I just couldn’t let go of – I knew I had to make these! I love cinnamon rolls for Christmas morning, but I wanted to try something new. So, here we are with these hot chocolate sweet rolls with marshmallow frosting!
You all know lately I’ve been into shortcuts and making things easier as we quickly approach baby #2. These are a most excellent short cut for sweet rolls! I used Pillsbury canned pizza crust and packets of hot chocolate. The most from-scratch part of this is the icing, which is only a few ingredients and a stand or hand mixer.
First, you’ll let the pizza crust sit out – in the can – on the counter for about 30 minutes and let the chill come out. This will allow the dough to be more malleable and easier to stretch out without it recoiling on you. You’ll also need 3 sticks of room temp butter and 4 oz (half a brick) of room temp cream cheese.
You prep your working surface with a bit of flour and then pop the pizza crust can open. Gently stretch out the pizza dough so it’s bit thinner. Set it aside and start working on the filling. The filling is SO simple, but you’ll want a stand or hand mixer to make sure you get a fluffy butter-based filling. Two packets of hot chocolate mix, 1/2 a cup of brown sugar, a bit of salt and two sticks of butter is all you need for the filling!
You’ll beat together the sugar, hot chocolate mix, butter and salt until it’s light and fluffy and then spread it over the prepared pizza dough with your hands. It’s easier and you won’t rip the pizza dough, so just do it with your hands! While the sweet rolls bake, you make the marshmallow frosting.
The frosting is a mixture of butter, cream cheese, marshmallow fluff and vanilla. You use a stand or hand mixer to beat it all together until it’s super light and fluffy. You can wait for the rolls to cool if you want a thicker frosting or spread the frosting on while the rolls are warm for a more warm and gooey frosting.
The tray of these hot chocolate sweet rolls went so fast this weekend! Let me know if you make them!
Hot Chocolate Sweet Rolls with Marshmallow Frosting
- 1 can Pillsbury pizza crust
- 2 packets of instant hot cocoa (not the sugar free kind)
- 2 sticks of unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1/2 c brown sugar
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1 stick of unsalted butter, room temp
- 4 oz cream cheese, room temp (half a brick)
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 c marshmallow fluff
- Take the pizza dough out of the fridge and bring to room temperature for 30 minutes. This allows the dough to be easier to work with.
- Preheat the oven to 350. Take a small pan (8×8 or 8×9 or 9×9 will work best) and prepare with cooking spray or generously coat with butter. Set aside.
- In a stand mixer with the whisk attachment (or hand mixer), whip together the hot chocolate mix, butter, sugar and salt until light and fluffy.
- On a clean surface, spread a few tablespoons of flour and unroll the pizza dough onto the surface. Gently stretch the sides and ends as much as possible without tearing the dough.
- Gently spread the filling with your hands over the dough – using a spatula may tear the dough, just use your hands!
- Once the filling is spread evenly over the dough, roll the dough away from you by rolling the long side forward. You’ll get smaller but more rolls. If you want a larger roll, you can roll from the short ends.
- Cut the rolls in even slices – I got about 13 from this batch. Place in the prepared baking dish. It’s okay for the rolls to be touching!
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, until the rolls are just golden.
- While the rolls are baking, make the marshmallow frosting.
- Combine all ingredients in a stand mixer with the whisk attachment and mix until light and fluffy.
- Allow the rolls to cool at least 10 minutes before frosting. The rolls will still be warm and give you a gooey frosting. If you want a thicker frosting, you’ll want to cool the rolls completely before frosting them.