You didn’t think I was going to talk about football eats without talking about buffalo wings, did you?! I think wings might be one of my top 10 favorite foods – they really take me back to college, being dragged out of my sorority house to go watch football at Buffalo Wild Wings. The good ‘ol days, eh? I particularly love this wing recipe because they’re baked, have no butter, and are still super crispy and really hit the spot.
I mean, look at these! Don’t you just wanna jump in and grab one? Too bad they were gone in like 4 minutes flat – hubby couldn’t wait for me to be done taking pictures of these.
The on going debate in our house, though, is drumstick vs. actual wing. Hubby prefers all drumsticks, and occasionally even asks for all drumsticks when we’re out. I actually prefer the wing!
So there’s three key tips to getting your oven baked wings crispy – okay, 3.5:
- Baking powder. Yep, toss these suckers with a little baking powder for guaranteed crispy skin. It puffs the skin up and ensures you get that crispy bite.
- Use a cooling rack to elevate the wings off the pan and allow the air to circulate. And, don’t crowd the wings, they’ll steam and steamed wings aren’t cute.
- Bake at a low temperature for 30 minutes to start the crisping process. Then you’ll toss them in the sauce, crank up the heat, finish baking and sauce some more.
I can’t wait to make these for the big game this weekend, they’re always a hit! I want to try them with Buffalo Wild Wings’ spicy garlic sauce. I found a bunch of recipes on Pinterest for a copycat version of the sauce, so we’re going go have to try that! I think this weekend I’ll end up having three sauces: BBQ or a sweet teriyaki – something for the spice haters in our house; buffalo – for the traditionalist; spicy garlic – for me, because I’ve been jonesing for it all week – #sorrynotsorry.
Crispy Oven Baked Chicken Wings
- 1 lb chicken wings patted dry
- 2 tsp baking powder
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1/4 c buffalo sauce, plus more for serving
- blue or ranch dressing, for serving optional
- celery and carrot sticks, for serving optional
- 1 tbsp minced parsley, for garnish optional
- Preheat oven to 200.
- Line a baking sheet with foil. Place cooling rack on baking sheet and spray with cooking spray.
- Toss wings with baking powder, salt and pepper; place on prepared baking sheet (don't crowd your baking sheet!)
- Bake for 30 minutes until wings begin to crisp; remove from oven.
- Turn heat up to 400.
- Toss wings in sauce of your choice.
- Place wings back on the baking sheet and into the 400 degree oven. Bake for an additional 30-35 minutes, or until wings reach 165 internal temperature.
- Remove from oven, toss in more sauce if desired, serve hot.