Guys! I forgot to share this recipe a few weeks ago when blood oranges were in season (read: were my obsession). With or without them, this citrus roasted salmon with jalapenos is hands down my new go-to recipe for roasted salmon. There’s so much flavor you can totally make it for dinner guests, but also really makes a weeknight dinner feel special. We can’t eat plain chicken and broccoli every night, right?
I mean, doesn’t that just look amazing?! I think I’ll have to make it again tonight since it’s Good Friday – no meat! But really. This is basically the equivalent of plain chicken and broccoli just actually good with a lot of flavor. But there’s practically nothing to this!
The most amount of work that went into this dish was slicing up the citrus. Now, you can totally use any kind of citrus you want, just make sure you’re picking sweet, ripened juicing oranges and ruby red grapefruit. You want the sweeter citrus or you’ll get a bitter bite. Might I suggest actually trying a piece of your citrus before you layer it all over your salmon?
So I sliced up blood oranges, ruby red grapefruit, lemon, lime, jalapenos and cilantro. You can use juicing oranges, clementines – anything you want! Leave off the jalapenos or cilantro – you do you boo!
I repeated the flavors of the fish in a side salad, served with wedges of blood orange, grapefruit and avocado. I topped with some sliced scallion (always – scallion in salad is so good) and used a vinaigrette I whipped up with lemon, lime, salt, pepper and olive oil. Easy! Simple, but so, so much flavor in both of these dishes!
Now, you can adjust the ingredients to suit however many people you are serving. Your cooking time will completely depend on how big your filets are. Salmon is done when it’s easily flaked with a fork. A small filet may only take 4-8 minutes, whereas my 2 pound filet took almost 20 minutes. Remember, the thicker part of the filet will take longer than the thin part – keep the thicker part towards the back of the oven where it’s hottest!
Citrus Roasted Salmon with Jalapenos
- 2 lbs salmon more or less depending on how many people you are serving
- ruby red grapefruit, sliced thinly
- blood orange or juicing orange, sliced thinly
- 1/2 lemon juiced
- 1/2 lime juiced
- 1/2 lemon, sliced thinly
- 1/2 lime, sliced thinly
- 1 jalapeno, sliced thinly
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- a few sprigs of cilantro, optional
- olive oil, cooking spray, salt, pepper
- Preheat oven to 450.
- Prepare baking dish with cooking spray. Pat salmon dry and place in prepared baking sheet. Sprinkle with salt and a few cranks of pepper. Set aside.
- While the salmon sits in the salt and the oven preheats, slice your citrus, jalapeno and garlic. You can use as much or as little as you want!
- Once your slices are done, drizzle olive oil over the fish. Squeeze half the lemon and half the lime over the fish. Sprinkle again with salt and pepper.
- Layer sliced citrus over the salmon, sprinkle with garlic and jalapeno; add cilantro if using.
- Bake until fish flakes – see notes!