When I think of a big football game, I think of everything Buffalo flavored – am I alone here? Buffalo wings, buffalo chicken dip, sign me up! Each year since we’ve had our house, we’ve hosted a party for the Big Game and every year I can’t skip the Buffalo Chicken Dip! It basically tastes like football to me.
I really love spicy foods, and I love that you could really make this dip with any spice level you want! You can opt for a hotter-than-buffalo flavor, if you want, or swap in absolutely any flavor wing sauce you like. You could even make two, one for the spice-haters and one for the spice-lovers! I love that a buffalo chicken dip is also just way easier to eat than regular wings, but you get all the flavor. I like to serve up this dip with celery and tortilla chips – you could even add carrots (but I’m having a carrot sensitivity all of the sudden, so I left them out!).
Do you guys have Buffalo Wild Wings by you? I think it would be so fun to go in, buy a bottle of your favorite flavor and swap it out for the Franks Red Hot in this recipe! Personally thinking about trying this one with the Spicy Garlic sauce – what do you you think? Sounds like it would be delicious to me!
When I first started making this dip years ago, the first recipe a friend gave me called for canned chicken. I wanted to share my thoughts on the use of canned chicken for this: don’t do it. I know, it’s cheaper. I know, it’s kind of, sort of, easier. But you will sacrifice a lot, I mean a lot, of flavor. Canned chicken can sometimes have the smell and taste of canned tuna, and I don’t think you really want your buffalo chicken dip to smell or taste like canned tuna.
There’s so many ways to get chicken into this dip, just make sure to cut the meat up into bite sized pieces! This makes it easier to eat, whether you’re using a celery stick or tortilla chip. Here are a few ways I’ve made the chicken for this recipe:
- Crockpot with broth, shred it up!
- Store-bought rotisserie chicken, shredded
- Boil the chicken breast (I think it comes out so juicy for this) in a mix of 1:1 broth and water
- Baked chicken breast with salt & pepper, cut into small cubes
I like a very chicken-y dip, so I use 2-2.5 pounds of chicken in my recipe. If I buy a store roasted chicken, I just get the biggest one they have and pull as much chicken as I can off of it. Whatever I shred, I cut in half, again, so it’s smaller pieces of chicken and easier to eat.
Buffalo Chicken Dip with Shredded Chicken
- 2 lb chicken breast, cooked and shredded
- 8 oz cream cheese, softened
- 1 c shredded mozzarella
- 1 c ranch or blue cheese dressing
- 1.5 c buffalo sauce
- 1/4 c shredded cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Prepare baking dish with cooking spray, set aside.
- Combine all ingredients except cheddar cheese in a large mixing bowl and stir until well combined.
- Top with cheddar cheese.
- Place in baking dish and bake for 40 minutes, until dip is bubbling.
- Allow to cool for 10-15 minutes for dip to set.
- Serve with celery, carrots, tortilla chips.