If you don’t get all heart eyes over cheese, I’m not sure we can be friends? It always feels like Christmas is an excuse to get things dressed up: the house, the table, and now, the cheese. This baked brie with cranberry apple compote is on point for Christmas! It’s wrapped in puff pastry and the tangy brie combines so well with the lightly sweet compote. Serve it up with sliced green apples and crackers – it’s great with both!
Okay, before we really get into this, I don’t know much about cheese. I know what I like (kind of like my relationship with wine) and just go to that. I’m sure there are better choices for brie out in the world, so pick your favorite! You can also forgo the Cranberry Apple Compote, and just use your favorite jam. I would always tell you, like with my go-to Whipped Goat Cheese app, try to find something seasonal. Trader Joe’s always has a seasonal jam!
Brie Baked in Puff Pastry
- 1 sheet puff pastry defrosted
- 13.2 oz round of your favorite brie cheese
- 1/4 cup cranberry apple compote or favorite seasonal jam
- 1 egg beaten, set aside
- 1 green apple sliced, set aside optional
- assortment of crackers, for serving optional
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silpat, set aside.
- Lightly flour your rolling surface and rolling pin. Gently roll your puff pastry to be about an inch all around larger than you started.
- Cut the corners of your puff pastry in straight lines to form a little bit of a pinwheel. This will help you to fold your pastry dough around the cheese round. Make as many cuts as you feel you need to wrap the dough.
- Trim the top of your brie to remove the rind from just the top of the round. Place in the center of your rolled out puff pastry.
- Top with apple cranberry compote or seasonal jam.
- Wrap your brie like a little bundle and place in the refrigerator for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 425.
- Remove from the refrigerator and brush with your beaten egg. Bake for 20-25 minutes until golden brown. Move to a plate and serve warm.
- Use your favorite brie cheese
- Make sure you refrigerate your wrapped brie before baking! Otherwise, the puff pastry will puff up too much
- Get the Cranberry Apple Compote recipe here!