Each year, people make resolutions – big ones, little ones, easy ones, hard ones and ones they never even work on. I’ve never been big on resolutions. Why? Because I hate to fail. I really hate it. I hate it so much I might even be a little scared of it.
There’s that saying “never let the fear of striking out keep you from playing the game.” So this year, I’m making all sorts of resolutions. Ones that scare me a little, and ones that I know I can stick to. Some of my resolutions, if I just make it a little easier for myself or lower the bar just a tad, I know I can crush it.
Hang in there with me, I promise these random stamps are about to make sense!
This year, Hubby and I actually worked on our resolutions together so we can hold each other accountable but also work towards the same goals. It’s funny though, whenever we make lists of dreams or goals, we have so much over lap – we are truly two peas in a pod.
Here are our resolutions:
- Finances. Since I left my job in April 2016, we’ve not been doing as great a job at saving money as we want to. Mid-2017 we started to get back on track and reminded each other of the big savings goals we have. One is to be able to fix the upstairs of our house – it’s a home built in the 1930s and needs some work. A closet in our bedroom would be clutch.
- Routine. I have my nighttime routine down pat (more on that to come!) but we both really want to get into a morning routine together. Reading up on entrepreneurs and their success, it always seems to hinge on that morning routine. Getting up before most, accomplishing a workout, a healthy breakfast and prioritizing the day will help us get on track.
- Explore More. Running your own businesses comes with a lot of responsibilities, especially to stay home. While we haven’t been able to travel as much as we like, I think sometimes we forget that we are in a great place for staycations. With Philadelphia only a few hours away and NYC only an hour train ride away, we want to get out and explore more this year. The key to us actually doing this is going to be putting it on our joint calendar!
- Learn New Things. Hubby wants to take a few classes to help him better his business. I want to take a photography class. Oh and sign up for that adult learning French class once and for all!
- Read More. When I was commuting 3+ hours a day, I was reading 3+ hours a day. Instead of putting this expectation on myself to read several books per week, I am aiming to read one book a month. I’m trying to get the Hubster to read 1 book…in 2018 (lol).
- Celebrate Others. Cue my stamps! Okay, so I love cards and I love the special effort someone gives you to send you a card and not just for your birthday. A handwritten note shows someone has taken the time to think of you, write your name and address, place a stamp on the envelope and tuck it into the mail. How many people actually take the time to think of someone else so intimately? I always have the best intentions of sending those cards I hoard, but I never do. To make it easier and more excuse-proof, I’m keeping stamps in the car! I don’t have to purchase one every time I send a card, and I keep a stack of birthday and event cards in our office
- Unplug. As business owners, this is so. hard. to. do. But we’re both trying. It’s our goal now to spend 1 hour per week together without our phones. For example, going for a hike with our dog and leaving our phones behind (minus Hubby’s smartwatch that can place a call…just in case).
- Giving Back. I’ve been searching for a non profit that aligns with my own goals and beliefs and interests. It’s my goal in 2018 that we both dedicate time and/or monetary support for non profits that we believe in. And if I don’t find one? I’ll start my own.
Tell me your resolutions & how you plan to get after it! I would love to hear them and add to my own list!